Thursday, April 10, 2008

Saying Good Bye to GZ and our New Friends

Little Bird

Our Two Kids

Trio's Last Time Together

Today was our last day in GZ, but not China. We fly tomorrow to Shanghi and then Saturday to Chicago. We should be home Saturday evening. This will be the last post before we land in the States.

Today was a big day! We went to the consulate and said our oath that all our paperwork was correct. We got the “Brown Envelope” which has all her important paperwork in it. They said about a million times, “DO NOT OPEN THIS”. They will open it at customs in Chicago. So Elizabeth is about 98% an American citizen. When they break that seal in Chicago, she will be officially an American citizen! Today we also got her passport back with her American Visa in it. So when we get back to Milwaukee, we can apply for her American Passport. We can also file for her Milwaukee County birth certificate.

It was a very bitter sweet day. We are all so longing for home, but we are also going to miss each other so much. We have all bonded and are so close. We have shared such an emotional, life changing event with people that were strangers just two weeks ago, but are now our children’s aunts and uncles. I am getting teary just thinking about leaving them all. Beyond the adult connections, we are all in love with each other’s children too. To see the changes they have made in the last two weeks is incredible and we all look forward to watching them grow up. All of us are so thankful that we were part of a group and hope all other families come in a group too.

Once last emotional gush from Rachel. I also have to say that my family has been incredible through this. They were all much better than I was. I was an emotional mess for the vast majority of the trip. There were a few moments when I had enough chocolate and Pepsi in me to make me bearable.

GPK and GMF were wonderful to have here. They took Sam when we had to go off for paperwork or when E was not coping well. They also watched both kids so we could get out and get some food or shop. They welcomed all the other children and new parents and were great surrogate parents and grandparents for the whole group.

David is the most wonderful man for putting up with me. There is no way I could have made it through this with out him. He tells me to settle down or hugs me when I need it; he takes Sam out for an adventure when I need quite time; he can pack so well that we can get all our stuff home, he can make Elizabeth belly laugh.

Sam was so good through this trip. He walked where we walked with out complaining. He ate different food, he stayed up late; he hung out in hotel rooms; he welcomed his baby sister with open arms and no jealousy. He calls her Cutie! He says, “Where is Cutie? I need to give her a kiss!” I could not have asked for him to be better. Three weeks away is a long time, but he has loved it. This week helped with a pool! He is ready to get home though, I think.

Next time I post I will back in Milwaukee! For those of you in the city you are welcome to come to church on Sunday night and there is a dinner! You can get info for our church at: http://www.milwaukeemennonitechurch.org/ See you all soon!

No comments: